Call for Artists
January 6 - June 24
Celebrating the Black Experience Exhibition
Call for Artists
The Kentucky Center for African American Heritage (KCAAH) presents Celebrating the Black Experience Art Exhibit, April 7 – June 19, 2023.
This call for artists is to submit artwork to a Juried Art Exhibition that will celebrate the diversity of African descendants through the visual arts.
Art submissions should reflect the diverse environments and traditions that contribute to the fabric of the Black experience. Imagery expressing rejoice, sorrow, love, creativity, and truth-telling are all up for exploration within the Black aesthetic, contributing to a counter-narrative that provides alternate perspectives that are missing or underrepresented.
The exhibition seeks to celebrate the legacy of Black artists’ rich contributions and achievements and the impact Black art has made in transforming our struggle against oppression and racism.
Application Deadline: February 24, 2023
Artist Call for Celebrating the Black Experience Exhibit
January 21, 1 – 4 pm
Artist Workshop – How to write an artist statement and bio
January 28, 1 – 4 pm
Artist Workshop – How to photograph your art
Acceptance Letter Emailed to Artists
Deadline to Receive KCAAH Gallery Agreement
March 15 – 25
Delivery or drop-off of artwork by appointment
April 7, 5 – 8 pm
Celebrating the Black Experience Reception & Gallery Talk
June 20 – 24
Art Pickup by Appointment
June 24, 11 am – 3 pm
Rules of Entry
- Ages 18 and up
- Work must be an original piece, not a reproduction of the work. NO REPRODUCTIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- All artwork must be available for display during the exhibition.
- No entries will be accepted beyond the postmark deadline, February 24, 2023.
- Up to 6 works may be submitted per artist, with 1-3 digital images for each two-dimensional or three-dimensional piece.
- 250-word limit for artist biography, and 150-word artist statement must be included with entry.
- Artists will submit entries through the file upload provided below.
- All entries must provide an email address for the acceptance package to be sent.
- The Black experience is an International experience. We welcome submissions from all countries.
- January 6
- June 24